Contracting and Purchasing
The City of Carlsbad purchases and contracts for a wide variety of supplies, services, equipment and consultant services in order to provide the community with a full range of municipal services and programs.
The City of Carlsbad uses eBidboard, a web-based bid management service, as an electronic plan room. Potential contractors, subcontractors and suppliers may view current projects, register as plan holders, view the plan holders list, download plans and specifications, receive addendum notices and obtain bid results. This information is available FREE of charge.
For firms unable to download, plans and specifications are also available for a fee in printed/hard copy at the Faraday Center, located at 1635 Faraday Ave, or by completing the Mail or Fax Order Request for Plans & Specifications form. Costs, including mailing fees, vary with the size of the project and are non-refundable. Checks are to be made payable to the City of Carlsbad.
Formal bids, those purchases of goods or services over $30,000, are publicly advertised, unless waived by the City Council.
- The legal newspaper of record for bids is the North County Times.
- Also Notices inviting bids are posted at City Hall.
- City public works projects, with estimated costs over $30,000, are listed with many local planrooms.
It is the policy of the City of Carlsbad to purchase and use recycled products except when such use negatively impacts health, safety or operational efficiency.
- A 15 percent preference, not to exceed $1,000 per contract, shall be given to recycled products.
- The preference percentage shall be based on the lowest bid or price quoted by the vendor or contractor offering non-recycled products.
Results are posted on eBidboard for 45 days after closing date.
Goods and services
Becoming a city vendor
While there is always someone available to assist during normal business hours, purchasing staff generally do not make appointments with vendors except in connection with specific current purchase efforts.
Becoming a city consultant
- Send a letter, on company letterhead, and Statements of Qualifications, to the Public Works Department, attn: Secretary.