Parks and Recreation Commission
The commission consists of seven members appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the City Council. Members must be residents of Carlsbad and normally serve four-year terms.
Meeting times and locations: Regular meetings are held the third Monday of every month.
Advises and makes recommendations to the City Council on matters pertaining to the acquisition, development, operation, maintenance, management and control of community parks, programs, playgrounds, indoor and outdoor recreations, activities and facilities
- Advises and makes recommendations to the City Council on matters pertaining to planting, trimming, pruning, and care of all trees, shrubs and plants in and upon any street, park, boulevard, alley or public place within the city
- Equips, operates, supervises and maintains parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, swimming pools, swimming centers, indoor recreation centers, auditoriums, and other public grounds or buildings in or about the city, which the commission may from time to time acquire, provide, authorize and designate for such use, subject to the approval of the City Council
- Recommends regulations necessary to maintain the aesthetics, safety, financial well-being and order of the park and recreational facilities
- Oversees the spending of money appropriated by the City Council for park and recreation purposes
- Source: Carlsbad Municipal Code, Chapter 2.36