WIth the time change and shorter days, the City of Carlsbad Police Department reminds residents to be aware and follow these safety tips.
1. Don’t return home to a dark house. Put exterior and interior lights on timers.
2. It’s getting dark earlier. Trim bushes, trees and other landscaping to reduce hiding places and shadows, and to increase the ability to see and be seen.
3. Solicitors after dark? Don’t open the door to a stranger—day or night. Say “no thank you” through the door and keep an eye on them. If they don’t move on, call the Police Department.
4. Change your outdoor exercise routine. If it is no longer light when you go out to jog or walk, consider some options:
There is safety in numbers. Walk or jog with a friend.
Always carry your phone. Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back.
Use the well-traveled path. Walk or jog in well-lit areas of activity.
Always be aware of what is going on around you. If you don’t like what you see, take a different path.
Don’t let headphones prevent you from hearing what is going on. Stay alert.
Be visible. Wear reflective clothing.
5. Out and about? Park your car as close to your destination as possible, under a light and remove all personal property. If you cannot take it with you, leave it at home.
Home security tips
Vehicle crime prevention tips
Police media contact
Jodee Sasway, Public Information Officer, 760-931-2105 or firstname.lastname@example.org