A building permit shall not be required for the following:
Please note: For questions regarding a specific project that does not fall into one of the following categories, please call Code Compliance at 760-602-2703.
1. One story detached residential accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11 m2).
2. Playground, gymnastic and similar equipment and structures used for recreation and athletic activities.
3. Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high.
4. Non-fixed movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
5. Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
6. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two to one.
7. Platforms, walks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an disabled accessible route.
8. Painting, papering and similar finish work.
9. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
10. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of group R, Division 3, and Group U occupancies when projecting not more than 54 inches.
11. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R Division 3 Occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.
12. Antennas supported on the roof.
13. Electrolier standards, flag poles and antennas not over 35 feet in height above finish grade when fully extended.
14. Repairs which involve only the replacement of component parts or existing work with similar materials only for the purpose of maintenance and which do not aggregate over $1,000.00 in valuation and do not affect any electrical or mechanical installations. Repairs exempt from permit requirements shall not include any addition, change or modification in construction, exit facilities or permanent fixtures or equipment. Specifically exempt from permit requirements regardless of value:
a. Painting and decorating
b. Installation of floor covering.
c. Cabinet work.
d. Outside paving.
Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above exempted items.
Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
(Ord. NS-869 § 2, 2008: Ord. NS-638 § 3, 2002: Ord. NS-333 § 2 (part), 1995)