Although severe tornadoes are more common in the great plains states, tornadoes can occur right here in Carlsbad. Tornadoes and hurricanes have struck southern California and San Diego in the past, although very infrequently.
Monitor stations that broadcast emergency alert messages: local TV and radio stations KOGO-AM 600 kHz and KLSD-AM 1360kHz. Have battery powered radios on hand and preset those stations.
If tornadoes are forecast (tornado watch, tornado warning), take the following steps:
- Always stay away from windows
- Get under a work bench or other piece of sturdy furniture
- Seek shelter on the lowest floor of the building in an interior hallway or room such as a closet
- Use blankets and pillows to cover the body from flying debris
- If in a mobile home, evacuate to a substantial shelter
- Seek shelter in a substantial building
- If no shelter is available, lie flat in the nearest ditch or other low spot and use hands to cover the head
- Pick a spot away from trees, cars and other objects, if possible
In a car
- Stay in the car with the seat belt on
- Pull under an underpass if possible
- Drivers and passengers should put their heads down below the windows, covering with hands and a blanket if possible
- Seek shelter in a substantial building if safe to do so