Water, Sewer and Trash Billing
Important new information comes inserted with the print versions of the City of Carlsbad’s utility bills. To ensure that all utility customers have easy access to this information the city posts to this site the current month’s utility bill insert.
Effective Jan. 1, 2013
- The City of Carlsbad bills water and sewer customers on a monthly basis.
- To determine whether property is located within these districts, please view the water district or sewer district maps.
- The billing period is normally 30 days and based on the water meter reading date.
- If service in the middle of a billing period, all charges are prorated.
- Charges paid after the due date are subject to a ten percent late fee.
- Charges not paid after 30 days are considered delinquent and are subject to additional fees.
- Charges will continue to accrue until the city is notified to discontinue service.
Water and sewer rate structure
The current rate structure is a tiered rate based on usage (one unit equals 748 gallons).
Click on the link below for our current water and sewer rate structure.
Approved Water and Sewer Rate Tables Effective 1/1/2013
*Users of recycled water are charged at a discounted rate of $3.53 per unit.
- A service record set fee of $36 will be assessed on the first bill.
- Monthly delivery charge based on meter size.
- This charge is assessed even if no water is used.
Effective July 1, 2012
Trash rates are composed of curbside collection, storm water protection and recycling services.
- Curbside collection and recycling services are provided by Waste Management for additional information please call 760-929-9400.
- Storm water protection program services are provided by the City of Carlsbad.
The rates are as follows:
- 34 gallon trash rate:
64 or 96 gallon trash rate
|Additional carts per month per trash container
Waste Management offers a variety of bin sizes from one-yard to six-yard bins (with or without locking mechanisms). For additional commercial solid waste collection rates and services please contact Waste Management at 760-929-9400.
Additional recycling information
Payments can be made:
- In person at the City of Carlsbad Finance Department. Acceptable methods of payment include cash, check, money orders and Visa or Mastercard.
- Online, acceptable methods of payment include Visa or Mastercard.
- Drop boxes located in City Hall parking lot on Pio Pico Drive and outside the City of Carlsbad Faraday building (1635 Faraday Ave.).
- Payments deposited in these drop boxes will NOT be credited to an account until the following business day.
- Over the phone by calling 760-602-2420.
- The city reserves the right to refuse payment of utility charges in coins.
- Postdated checks will not be accepted.
- Past due bills scheduled for shut off must be paid in cash, money order, or credit card in person at the Faraday building, or by credit card with utility billing customer service by calling 760-602-2420.
Automatic payment service
The city offers an automatic payment service. This service automatically pays the bill from a checking account. To sign up for this free service, just complete the application and mail to:
City of Carlsbad
P.O. Box 9009
Carlsbad, CA 92018-9009
When going on vacation or out of town for an extended period of time, please arrange to pay the bill in advance to avoid late charges and potential service termination. Arrangements may be made by calling the Finance Department at 760-602-2420.
Establishing water service
- The City of Carlsbad requires at least 24 hours notice for service turn-on.
- To determine whether the property is located within the city’s districts, please view the water district or sewer district maps.
- There is a $36 turn on fee for all new accounts.
- If the city is contacted on the same day as requested service turned on, there will be a $100 charge assessed on the next bill.
- When calling on holidays, on weekends or after 5 p.m. on weekdays to have water turned on the same day, a charge of $175 must be paid to the city on the following working day.
- By accepting service, one is subject to all rules and regulations of the city, and is responsible for all charges incurred on the monthly bill until the city is notified to discontinue service.
- Charges will accrue until the city is contacted to discontinue service. The city requires at least 24 hours notice to discontinue service.
Continuity of service for landlords only
- The City of Carlsbad offers a continuity of service fee option of $10 (in lieu of the $36 setup fee) for landlords who wish to retain water service to rental properties during periods of vacancy.
- This option is only for City of Carlsbad landlords who receive water service from the city water district.
- To sign up for this service, please complete a continuity of service agreement form and return it to the Utility Billing Department.