On February 22, 2014 the city embarked on a new adventure and held its first neighborhoods empowerment conference. Two hundred community leaders filled the seats, connected with other like minds and contributed a tremendous energy to the day. Conference participants were treated to a day of powerful neighborhood stories from their peers, an exhibitor area full of rich knowledge, a dynamic keynote speaker, and a thought provoking group exercise.
The conference opened with a presentation for all to view. At the conclusion, there were three questions discussed:
- What shifted in your thinking as a result of what you have learned today?
- With strengthening our sense of community in mind, what gifts are you committed to sharing with your neighbors? With Carlsbad?
- Who do you need to connect with today to create and deliver your passion Project.
To open the conference, a series called CarlsbadTALKS was introduced to the participants. CarlsbadTALKS celebrated seven extraordinary Carlsbad residents who have invested time, energy and talents into Carlsbad. Each presenter was allotted ten minutes to share their experiences with participants. The intent of CarlsbadTALKS was to inspire conference participants to think big and to realize that they too can make a big difference if they seize an opportunity. Follow the individual links below to watch and learn from fellow community leaders:
Eight Discovery Sessions were offered to participants, with the primary intent on being to learn and grow ones capacity. Topics for each Discovery Session varied enabling participants to self-select what they had passion learning more about as shared below:
- Engaging our youth - Participants: YES, Boys & Girls Club, Kids for Peace
- Where do I start? Where's the money? - Participants: SCORE, the San Diego Foundation
- Cultivating and growing leadership skills - Participants: Jim Elliott
- Securing your neighborhood - Participants: Jodee Sasway, Carlsbad Police Department
- Emerging leaders - Participants: CHS TV, Encuentros, Champion Lancers
- Nextdoor, get involved in your neighborhood - Participants: Diana Hagerty
- Engaging your neighborhood - Participants: Mark Foreman, North Coast Calvary Chapel
- Building a volunteer foundation - Participants: Sue Irey, City of Carlsbad Housing & Neighborhood Services
Conference participants were treated to an Exhibitor Area comprised of vibrant organizations, all which contribute daily to the high quality of life in our community. We thank all participating organizations for sharing their knowledge and talents with us.
Participating organizations: Boys & Girls Clubs of Carlsbad, Carlsbad Charitable Foundation, Carlsbad Community Garden Collaborative, Carlsbad Educational Foundation, Carlsbad Emergency Response Team, Carlsbad Unified School District, City of Carlsbad - Environmental Programs, City of Carlsbad - Fire, City of Carlsbad - Library & Cultural Arts, City of Carlsbad - Parks & Recreation, City of Carlsbad - Utilities - Meter Services, City of Carlsbad - Utilities - Recycled Water, City of Carlsbad - Utilities - Wastewater, City Trail Volunteer Program, County of San Diego - Public Health, Friends of Leo Carrillo Ranch, MAAC Project, North County San Diego Time Bank, San Diego Gas & Electric, SCORE, the San Diego Foundation, Trauma Intervention Program of San Diego (TIP), Waste Management, Youth Enrichment Services (YES)