Skip navigation links
St. Michael's Episcopal Church
St. Michael's Episcopal Church - then

 

 

 

 

 

St. Michael's Episcopal Church - now

2775 Carlsbad Blvd.

Built by brothers Anthony and Robert Shaw in 1894, on a site overlooking the ocean at the corner of present-day Carlsbad Boulevard and Oak Street, this was Carlsbad’s first church. Many of the early settlers of Carlsbad had English roots and the need for a place of worship was one of the first steps in developing a successful community. It was moved to its current site in 1959 when Florence Shipley Magee donated land for a new modern sanctuary, which was designed by architecs Albert Frey and Michael Chambers. Today the chapel is used for Saturday evening and weekday services and for weddings and funerals.