Skip navigation links
Twin Inns / Ocean House

Twin Inns

 

 




 

Ocean House 

2978 Carlsbad Blvd.

This Victorian structure was built by Alonzo Culver in 1887 for Gerhard Schutte, known as the “Father of Carlsbad.” Schutte and partners Samuel Church Smith and D.D. Wadsworth, founded the Carlsbad Land and Mineral Water Company and had as their vision "a town of small farms and gracious homes." They bought up 400 prime acres for $40 an acre. They laid out a townsite, lined roads with eucalyptus seedlings, and named streets. In 1919, Ed and Neva Kentner bought and converted it to a restaurant named the Twin Inns. The house gained fame for its fried chicken dinners and the four seven-foot plaster chickens out front. The Twin Inns was sold in 1984, and is currently a restaurant called Ocean House.