Skip navigation links
Santa Fe Depot
Santa Fe Depot in 1963

Convention and Visitors Bureau 

400 Carlsbad Village Drive

Designed by Fred Perris and built in 1887, this gabled Victorian railroad depot is one of the few pre-1900 stations left in the country. In 1907, the town name, including the sign on the station, was changed to CARL., to distinguish it from Carlsbad, New Mexico. Townsfolk rebelled at the name and their protests finally succeeded in changing the name back to CARLSBAD in 1917. In the 1920s and 1930s, Carlsbad became a major producer of vegetables, fruits and flowers, which were shipped all over the country from this depot. But after World War II, rail traffic declined; passenger service was discontinued in 1957; and the depot closed down permanently in the 1960s. Fully restored in the late 1980s and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995, the depot is now home to the Convention and Visitors Bureau.