2822 State St.
Designed by Roy Struve (architect for the La Paloma Theatre in Encinitas) and built by Roy Chase between 1926 and 1927 at a cost of $40,000, the theater was constructed to seat 600, with a full stage and small orchestra pit. The first film shown in 1927 was Clara Bow’s It, a racy film for the time. From 1946 to 1961, the Carlsbad Theatre served as a movie house. It was later used as a playhouse and then served the Hispanic community for nearly 20 years with Spanish language films. Recent years have seen attempts to restore and preserve it, making it available for special programs.