1542 Oak St.
Alonzo Culver built this three-room homestead cottage in the late 1880s, and the first owner was Carlsbad’s first physician, Dr. H.B. Shirley. In the early 1900s, the property was used as a small chicken ranch. In the mid-1920s, Anna de la Motte purchased the property, planted the trees that now border it and established a grove of 900 avocado trees.