Art and Collectibles
The Library subscribes to scholarly research databases not available on the Internet.
The following are external sites that are not maintained by the Carlsbad City Library.
- Collection Database artworks from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History - a chronological, geographical, and thematic exploration of the history of art from around the world.
- WorldImages - provides access to the California State University IMAGE Project. It contains approximately 80,000 images, is global in coverage and includes all areas of visual imagery.
- Digital Gallery - 700,000 illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints, photographs and more from the New York Public Library.
- National Gallery of Art - search by image and artist.
- Web Gallery of Art - a virtual museum and searchable database of European painting and sculpture from 11th to mid-19th centuries.
Art topics are best searched by title keyword or subject keyword. Often there will be too many irrelevant results with a general keyword ("Everything") search. If that is the case, click the Subject button on the catalog search screen to do a subject search.
- art baroque (subject)
- impressionism (subject)
- cathedrals (subject)
To find a book of works by a particular artist, do an author search for the artist (last name, first name).
There isn't a library book for every artist, so look for an artist's style or time period to find more resources. Then use the book's table of contents or index to find the artist in that book.
Search for collectibles in general, or search for the brand/maker or category of collectible.
For more help, contact a librarian.