Health and Medicine
The Library subscribes to scholarly research databases not available on the Internet.
Seasonal flu information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The following are external sites that are not maintained by the Carlsbad City Library.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – diseases and conditions, emergency preparedness, environmental health, workplace safety
- HealthCare.gov – information about the Affordable Care Act, including pricing data for insurance plans, additional ways to compare quality of health care services and providers, new consumer protections and more
- HealthyCity.org – California's information + action resource for service referrals and social change. You can search for community services, research and share community data.
- Lab Tests Online – search by a health condition or by the name of a test
- MedLine Plus – drugs, herbs and supplements; doctors, hospitals and organizations; surgical videos, medical encyclopedia
- Mayo Clinic – diseases and treatments, drugs and supplements, health self-assessment
- Medicare and You – download the official government handbook .pdf (4.02 MB)
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine – clinical trials and published results for many types of complementary and alternative medicine
- National Institutes of Health – research, news and medical institutes
- National Library of Medicine – history of medicine, biomedical research, supplements, directory of health organizations, alternative medicine, toxic substances
- Senior Health from the National Institutes of Health – health information specific to older adults, plus Medicare prescription drug coverage information
- USDA National Nutrient Database – look up a food to see what nutrients it contains, or look up a nutrient to see its content in different foods
Search the Library catalog for simple terms such as:
For more help, contact a librarian.