258 Beech Ave.
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Magee House is one of three historic buildings at Magee Park, located just one block away from the Pacific Ocean. In addition to the historic buildings, the park is home to the Carlsbad Historical Society, historical gardens, shuffleboard courts and picnic areas available for rental.
This craftsman's style home was originally built by Samuel Church Smith, one of the founders of the Carlsbad Land and Water Company in 1887. Smith along with Gerhard Schutte, D.D. Wadsworth, and Henry Nelson organized the Carlsbad Land and Water Company by capitalizing on John Frazier's discovery of mineral and artesian water along the coast. They purchased that land and developed it into a seaside community.
Alexander Shipley, a retired foreign service diplomat, purchased the home in the 1890's and lived in the house with his wife Julia and daughter Florence. In 1912, Florence married Hugh Magee and moved to Pala. She returned to Carlsbad in the 1940's after the death of her father and husband. As sole inheritor of her parents’ estate and having no children of her own, Florence left Magee house to the City of Carlsbad as a historic and recreational park upon her death in 1974.
The historical gardens reflect Carlsbad’s agricultural heritage, and feature a nationally-registered rose garden. Separated into several rose beds, visitors will find over 125 different roses that represent 15 different rose families. Development of these rose beds earned Carlsbad the honor of being named an “American Rose City” in 2002 by the American Rose Society. In addition the gardens include a Victorian herb bed, a native southern Californian bed, a Carlsbad commercial growers’ bed and a patriotic “red, white and blue” bed. All of the gardens are maintained through the combined volunteer efforts of the Arboretum Society, the Carlsbad Historical Society and the California Coastal Rose Society, as well as city staff.
Source: Carlsbad Historical Society