Home security awareness should be a daily habit, not just something to consider prior to a vacation. However, an empty house offers a target for an opportunist burglar. It is important to safeguard a residence while on vacation. The goal is to make it appear that there is someone home.
City of Carlsbad Police Department’s Senior Volunteer Patrol coordinates vacation security consultations. Please call them at 760-931-2214 at least two weeks prior to leaving on vacation, to schedule a consultation.
- Protect valuables by engraving them with a California drivers license number. Record serial numbers and store them in a secure place
- Conduct a last minute check of all doors and windows, ensuring they are properly secured
- Place valuable jewelry in a safe deposit box or store it in an unusual location inside the home
- Make sure no valuables can be seen through windows
- Do not hide keys outside a home. Instead, leave keys with a trusted neighbor. Tell them vacation plans, leaving a number where to be reached in an emergency
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery
- Do not tell strangers about vacation plans
- Turn down phone and answering machine so they cannot be heard
- Turn off garage door opener and pad lock garage door from the inside
- Put interior and exterior lights on timers to simulate activity. Put a radio on a timer to simulate noise
- Consider having a trusted person housesit
- Lock vehicles left behind. Remove valuables from them. Park them in the garage if available