• Email
  • Print

Harold E. Smerdu Community Garden

Located across the street from City Hall/Georgina Cole Library
1250 Laguna Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008

This site is the city’s original community garden, established in 1984.  It is named after late Carlsbad resident Harold E. Smerdu, who was instrumental in developing the community garden concept and working with city staff to see it come to fruition.  The site contains 52 in-ground plots that are leased annually to gardeners for the purpose of growing flowers, fruits, and vegetables.  Its amenities include fruit trees, a composting station, an informational kiosk, and a gathering place for gardener interaction/student instruction.  A five member committee of gardeners assists the city with the oversight of the plots and the maintenance of the common areas.

Calavera Schoolhouse Community Garden

Located at the southeast corner of Calavera Hills Community Park
2997 Glasgow Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92010

This site is the city’s newest community garden, established in 2014.  It is named in recognition of the historic Calavera Schoolhouse which was established by Carlsbad’s founding families, and previously located on this site.  The site was selected, designed, and constructed with significant input from the Carlsbad Community Gardens Collaborative.  It contains 26 raised container plots that are leased annually to gardeners for the purpose of growing flowers, fruits, and vegetables.  Its amenities include fruit trees, handicapped accessible containers, communal/instructional containers, a composting station, an informational kiosk, and a gathering place for gardener interaction/student instruction.  A five member committee of gardeners assists the city with the oversight of the plots and the maintenance of the common areas.

For more information on community gardens, or to be placed on the city’s waiting list for a plot vacancy, please go to http://carlsbadcommunitygardens.org/