The City of Carlsbad does not have a film ordinance; therefore, the city does not issue “filming” permits for commercials, informational videos, television shows, movies and other productions within the city limits. In some cases, another permit process is required depending on the location and activity type. The following advisements are commonly necessary for producers who do come to Carlsbad for film shoots:
- Activity on private property within the city must be with the consent of the property owner, and affected parties should be notified ahead of time.
- Activity on private property may need a minor special event permit issued by Carlsbad’s Community & Economic Development Planning Department (760-602-4610).
- Activity on public streets in Carlsbad may need a special event permit if the activity does not comply with legal traffic and parking regulations. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department’s Special Events Division (760-931-2297).
- Activity contained in a city park or facility may need a facility use permit. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department (760-434-2826).
- Activity involving tents, cooking, flame-producing equipment, pyrotechnics, generators, etc., may require a permit from the City of Carlsbad Fire Prevention Office (760-602-4666).
- Activity on the beach may need a permit from California State Parks (619-688-3385).