Signing and Striping General Notes
- The contractor is responsible for installation of all signing and striping.
- All signing, striping and pavement markings shall conform to the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (FHWA’s MUTCD 2003 Revision 1, as amended for use in California), the Caltrans Standard Specifications (latest version), these plans and the Special Provisions.
- All signing and striping is subject to the approval of the City Engineer or his representative, prior to installation.
- Any deviation from these signing and striping plans shall be approved by the City Engineer or his representative prior to any change in the field.
- All striping shall be reflective per Caltrans specifications. Striping shall be repainted two weeks after initial painting.
- All signage shall be reflective per ASTM Designation D4956 and shall use Type IV prismatic reflective sheeting (High Intensity Prismatic or equal) unless otherwise specified. R1-1 “STOP”, R1-2 “YIELD”, R2-1 “SPEED LIMIT” and street name signs shall use Type IX prismatic cube-corner reflective sheeting (Diamond Grade VIP or equal).
- Lettering on ground-mounted street name signs on local residential streets (speed limit of 25 mph or less) shall be 4” high capital letters. Lettering on ground-mounted street name signs on prime arterials, major arterials and secondary arterials (speed limit greater than 40 mph) shall be 8” high capital letters. Lettering on all other ground-mounted street name signs shall be 6” high capital letters.
- Prior to final acceptance of street improvements, all street striping and markings within a 500’ perimeter of the construction project will be restored to a “like new” condition, in a manner meeting the approval of the City Inspector.
- Exact location of striping and stop limit lines shall be approved by the City Engineer or his representative prior to installation.
- Contractor shall remove all conflicting painted lines, markings and pavement legends by grinding. Debris shall be promptly removed by the contractor.
- All pavement legends shall be the latest version of the Caltrans stencils.
- Limit lines and crosswalks shall be field located. Crosswalks shall have 10’ inside dimension unless otherwise specified.
- All crosswalks, limit lines, stop bars, pavement arrows and pavement legends shall be thermoplastic unless otherwise specified.
- Fire hydrant pavement markers shall conform to the California MUTCD and San Diego Regional Standard Drawing M-19.
- All signs shall be standard size as shown in the California MUTCD unless otherwise specified.
- Sign posts shall be square perforated steel tubing with breakaway base per San Diego Regional Standard Drawing M-45.
- When a sign is attached to a pole, it shall be mounted using a standard City of Carlsbad approved mounting bracket with straps.
- Existing signs removed by the contractor shall be delivered by the contractor to the City of Carlsbad Public Works Yard at 405 Oak Ave.
- All signs shown on these plans shall be new signs provided and installed by the contractor except those signs specifically shown as existing to be relocated or to remain.
- (if necessary) All median noses and flares shall be painted yellow.
- (if necessary) Where R4-7 sign and OM1-3 object marker are to be installed in a 2-foot wide median nose, the R4-7 sign shall be 18”x24” and the OM1-3 object marker shall be 12”x12”.
- (if necessary) “STOP” and “STOP AHEAD” signs and pavement legends shall be installed removed until traffic signals are operational or until directed by the City Engineer or his representative.
- (if necessary) New “SIGNAL AHEAD” signs and pavement legends shall be installed until traffic signals are operational or until directed by the City Engineer or his representative.