• Email
  • Print

City of Carlsbad Services

The city has temporarily suspended most in person services due to the COVID-19 emergency, but that doesn’t mean the city is closed for business. All essential city services are available online or by phone.

At a glance

To quickly see the status of city services, look at this dashboard.

Parks & Recreation

Public safety

Reporting crime and other activities
  • If you need to report a crime or report a crime in progress, as always, call us. Dial 911 for an emergency or a crime in progress. Dial 760-931-2197 to report a crime (not in progress) or to report suspicious activity.

Reporting online

  • You can report some crimes online like a theft from a car or vandalism. Please use this system whenever possible for your convenience.
  • These crimes are limited to crimes without evidence or suspects.
  • Please look here for information www.carlsbadca.gov/reportit.

Call before you drive

  • For activities typically handled during normal business hours, in the lobby of the Police Department, here are a few modifications.
  • These activities generally include ticket signoffs, copies of a report, the collection of property, etc.
  • Call the Police Department before you drive to the Police Department to make arrangements.
  • Please call 760-931-2100. Let the records division know what you need, and they can give you instructions.
  • If your instructions are drive to the Police Department, call us from your cell phone or use the red phone located outside the lobby when you arrive as in keeping with statewide and local guidelines, the lobby (not the Police Department) will be closed.
  • You will be given instructions on the phone.

City government

City Council meetings
The City Council and will hold “virtual” meetings for now. Members of the public can watch meetings on the city website and cable channel, Charter Spectrum Channel 24 and AT&T U-verse channel 99. Here’s more information on City Council meetings and how to participate.

Boards and commissions
Meetings have resumed via video conference. Members of the public can watch online live and submit comments via email. Check the boards and commissions page for details

City hall
City hall is still here to serve you Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call us at 760-434-2820 or email help@carlsbadca.gov.

Public records
Public records can be requested using our online system, available 24/7 on the city’s website or email clerk@carlsbadca.gov.

Housing, affordable housing, CDBG
Affordable housing applications, rental assistance change forms and related materials can be put in the after-hours drop box at 1200 Carlsbad Village Drive. Originals will be returned in the mail. Call 760-434-2810 to leave a message with concerns or questions. Staff will return your call as soon as possible.

Community Services

Senior meal program
Carlsbad residents 60 and up can sign up for free lunch pick up at the senior center or have lunch delivered. The lunch program is offered Monday through Friday and reservations must be placed no later than noon the day before. Call 760-602-4655 to leave a message for a reservation or request a meal delivery.

You Are Not Alone program
The You Are Not Alone Program is a free service for City of Carlsbad seniors who live alone and would benefit from a daily check on their welfare.  Members of the Police Department’s senior volunteer patrol make daily phone calls to clients. To enroll a Carlsbad resident in the program, call the Police Department’s senior volunteer patrol at 760-931-2214.

Library returns and resources
Libraries are open for contactless curbside service by appointment. Also many of our library services can be accessed remotely from home on our library@home page. for access to digital books, magazines, research databases and streaming entertainment and more. These online services remain available to those with a library card, and library cards can be obtained online as well.

City programming and events
The city is offering many programs virtually including events, camps, concerts, tours, workshops, storytime, art and more for kids and adults. Visit our play@home page for more details.

Bills and fees

Utility bills
We understand that the COVID-19 emergency is having a significant effect on our community. Water service will not be discontinued due to non-payment and late fees are waived through May 31, 2020. Call 760-602-2420 to discuss deferring a payment.

Business licenses
Applications can be submitted online and renewal invoices can be paid online. Renewals should be submitted on time. Businesses will have an additional 60 days to make payment, beyond the existing deadline, which is 59 days following the expiration date.

Transient Occupancy Tax
Hotels have an additional 30 days (60 days total) to remit Transient Occupancy Tax for the months of February, March, April and May.  To qualify, hotels must file their Transient Occupancy Tax return by the existing deadline: 30 days following the end of the month when the stays occurred.

Planning, Building and Land Development Engineering

Pickup/drop off area at Faraday Center for plans, permits and payments (building, planning and land development engineering).

Building services
Our building inspectors are still on the job, maintaining the proper 6-foot distance and following other health orders. Call 760-602-2719 or email building@carlsbadca.gov for building counter inquiries.

Land Development Engineering
Call 760-602-2750 or email landdev@carlsbadca.gov for engineering counter inquiries.

Planning services
Please call 760-602-4610 or email planning@carlsbadca.gov for planning counter inquiries.

Public Works

For all after-hours of weekend requests, call 760-931-2197. A police non-emergency dispatcher will inform the appropriate on-duty staff member to respond.

Requests for services
Use the city’s online reporting system for the following requests:
Streetlight burnouts
Potholes/sidewalk repair
Storm drain issues – clogs, maintenance and items dropped in
Street signs – faded, knockdown/missing etc.
Traffic signal timing adjustments
Litter and graffiti: dumping, debris in road, graffiti etc.
Dead animal pickup

Traffic signals not working
Call 760-424-2980 or email traffic@carlsbadca.gov to report signals outages, on flash or knockdowns.

Run off and water quality
The city continues to implement the Municipal Storm Water Permit to protect our creeks, lagoons and ocean. Please report irrigation runoff, dumping, or washing to the storm drain to the Storm Water hotline at 760-602-2799, or email stormwater@carlsbadca.gov.

Water and Sewer
The City of Carlsbad is served by three water districts and one other wastewater district. To determine if your property is located in the Carlsbad Municipal Water District or another district, check the Water District Map or the Sewer District Map.

Carlsbad Municipal Water District: 760-438-2722.
Olivenhain Municipal Water District: 760-753-6466
Vallecitos Water District: 760-744-0460
Leucadia Wastewater District: 760-753-0155

Carlsbad Municipal Water District customers will not have their water shut off due to non-payment due to the COVID-19 crisis. See details and other assistance.

Please remember, don’t flush wipes and paper towels – dispose of them the trash to keep your wastewater system from backing up and causing problems.

Trash & Recycling
Normal residential trash and recycling pickup schedule remains in place. The collection center at Palomar Transfer Station is closed to the public, and the household waste drop-off and shred events have been postponed. For recycling and trash information, contact 760-602-4646 or email recycle.trash@carlsbadca.gov.

The city provides as many as 10 sandbags to any property in the city upon request. You can pick them up at the city’s facilities headquarters at 405 Oak Ave. from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Residents need only show their IDs before getting the bags. For questions, please call 760-434-2980.

Back to main page