• Email
  • Print

Rental Assistance (Section 8)

No in-person services due to the COVID-19 prevention. 

The city provides vouchers to help low income residents pay rent through a program called "Section 8," named after the federal housing law that provides funding to cities for this program. Unfortunately, this program is full, and the waiting list is closed.

To find out how to submit any needed paperwork, please read our notice.  Please note the stimulus checks received do not need to be reported as income for your Section 8 rental assistance benefits. 

Current participants  

Participants in Carlsbad's rental assistance program (section 8) have the following responsibilities:

  • Pay their portion of the rent in accordance with the rental agreement and family obligations 
  • Notify the Carlsbad Housing Agency and property owner/agent of any changes in the household by submitting a change form (English and Spanish) 
  • Pay for utilities and services as outlined in the rental agreement
  • Keep the unit clean and undamaged
  • Not engage in any illegal activities
  • Be responsible for the actions of their guest(s)
  • Permit access to the unit for repairs
  • Refrain from disturbing others
  • Allow only occupants on the rental agreement to reside in the unit
  • Abide by the terms of the housing choice voucher, the rental agreement, federal regulations and applicable Carlsbad Housing Agency administrative policies
  • Payment Standards effective 02/01/2020 for 92008, 92009, 92010, and 92011:

    Studio   $1,854
    1 Bdrm $2,070
    2 Bdrm $2,691
    3 Bdrm $3,852
    4 Bdrm $4,725

Moving to another city?

  • A written 30-day notice must be given to the owner/agent of the tenant's current rental unit and a copy given to the Housing Agency;
  • Those in a lease must obtain the owner’s written permission to break the lease. Both the tenant and owner must sign a Mutual Rescission of Lease Agreement and submit the form to the tenant's Housing Specialist;
  • Complete the Request to Utilize Portability form identifying the new Housing Agency’s information and a contact person. The Housing Agency’s information can be found at HUD's website. This form must be submitted to the tenant's Housing Specialist;
  • Any money that is owed to this or any housing agency must be resolved before the tenant moves;
  • Tenants must contact their Housing Specialist to confirm that all required documentation is completed.    

NOTE: Each housing agency sets its own payment and occupancy standards. Be aware that tenants may not be funded with the same bedroom size at the new agency. Be sure to check with the new housing agency before securing a rental unit.

Moving to Carlsbad from another city?

The City of Carlsbad is currently billing.


Five-Year PHA Plan 2020-2025
Public Notice for the PHA Plan Fiscal Year 2021
Streamlined Annual PHA Plan 2021
Fair Housing brochure (English and Spanish)

Contact information 

City of Carlsbad 
Housing Services 
760-434-2810 | 760-720-2037 fax
1200 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92008

M - Th:  7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.  | Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.